Annecy – this visit was part of a city break in France and Italy (spring 2020).
Annecy is the largest city of the French Haute-Savoie department. It is located on the shore of Lake Annecy, 35km/22mi of Geneva, Switzerland.
- due to its position between the Lake Annecy and the mountains, the city is nicknamed the “Pearl of French Alps”;
- the Alpine Lake Annecy is the second biggest lake in France and it has one of the purest water in the world; swimming is allowed in the lake;
- the city is crossed by the Thiou river, the shortest river in France; it forms many canals, contributing to the beauty of the city;
- Palacio de I’lle, the historic monument from Annecy, is one of the most photographed sights in France; due to its strategic position, it was once a prison;
Top things to do in/around Annecy:
- visit the main tourist objectives: Palacio de I’lle (fortified palace, former prison), Vieille Ville/Old Town (Thiou River with its canals; pedestrian streets), Jardins de l’Europe (municipal park in front of Annecy’s city hall), Pont Des Amours (connects the Jardins de l’Europe with the Jacquet Promenade walkway), Château d’Annecy (medieval building that offers a view over Annecy);
- watersports on Lake Annecy (swimming, paddle-boarding, sailing, diving etc.);
- mountain activities (summer: hiking, canyoning; winter: skiing at mountain resorts like La Clusaz, Le Grand Bornand, Manigod, Saint Jean de Sixt);
- visit the Sunday market;
- attend the International Animated Film Fest;
- participate to the Lake Festival (first Saturday of August; the biggest fireworks in Europe);
Follow the IDoRecommend posts to discover many other beautiful places on earth.