Hiking Tre Cime di Lavaredo loop – this hiking was part of a 2-week trip in Europe (July 2016).
Tre Cime di Lavaredo (Three Peaks of Lavaredo) offers an iconic view of the Dolomites mountains.
- three prominent rock formations: Cima Piccola (“little peak”, 2857m/9373ft), Cima Grande (“big peak”, 2999m/9839ft), Cima Ovest (“western peak”, 2973m/9754ft);
- the natural park is named after the famous peaks;
- the peaks were the front line between Italy and Austria during World War I; this is why in that area there are many tunnels, trenches, fortifications, iron ladders (which are now used as part of via ferrata trails);
- the peaks were declared a UNESCO World Heritage site (together with the rest of the Dolomites);
⚠️Price for parking at Rifugio Auronzo 30€.
Hiking – technical details
- distance ~9.5km / 6mi;
- duration ~3-4h (without counting the breaks);
- difficulty: easy;
- trail: (driving for 8.6km/5.3mi from Misurina to →) Parking Tre Cime → (path 101 from) Rifugio Auronzo 2340m/7677ft → Cappella degli Alpini → Rifugio Lavaredo → Forcella Lavaredo (observation deck; Tre Cime on the left) → Monte Paterno (on the right) → Gallerie del Monte Paterno (war tunnel on the right) → Rifugio A. Locatelli/S.Innerkofler 2405m/7890ft → back to Parking Tre Cime;
Follow the IDoRecommend posts to discover many other beautiful places on earth.