Zell am See – this visit was part of a 2-week trip in Europe (July 2016).
Zell am See is a popular winter and summer resort also known as Zell am See-Kaprun.
- located at the foot of Schmittenhöhe mountain (1965m/6446ft) and at the shores Lake Zell;
- founded by monks around 740 A.D.;
- the construction of the rail route and the Grossglockner High Alpine Road increased the city’s populariry (Großglockner Hochalpenstraße, panoramic road, located at the foot of Austria’s highest mountain, Grossglockner 3798m/12460ft);
Top things to do in/around Zell am See:
- visit the old town (Alt Stadt);
- see the Magic Lake Show (light show) at the shores of Lake Zell (3 times/week);
- spend time by the Lake Zell – water sports (locations: Lido Seespitz, Lido Thumersbach, Badeplatz Wieshof, Zeller Strandbad, Badeplatz Erlberg) or strolling, cycling along the lake;
- enjoy the surrounding mountains by hiking or biking (download the ZELL AM SEE-KAPRUN ROUTES application for the trails);
- enjoy a summer/winter toboggan;
- relax yourself at a wellness resort (Tauern Spa World);
- drive on the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (arriving face to face to Grossglockner mountain and Pasterze Glacier);
- visit Eisriesenwelt ice caves;
- visit Sigmund Thun Gorge(Kaprun) or Kitzlochklamm Gorge;
- go skiing (open all-year long; locations Schmittenhohe, Kitzsteinhorn Glacier, Maiskogel and Lechnerberg);
- visit Krimml Waterfalls, Europe’s largest waterfalls (55km away from the city);
- visit Kitzbuhel, one of Austria’s most famous ski resorts (55 km away from the city);
Follow the IDoRecommend posts to discover many other beautiful places on earth.