Angkor temple complexes – this visit was part of a 2-week trip in Southeast Asia (fall, 2015).
The Angkor temple complexes (Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat) date back from the Khmer Empire’s period.
- the name translates into “Great City”;
- it was the last and most enduring capital city of the Khmer Empire (that was Cambodia from the 9th century to the 15th century, a Hindu/Buddhist empire);
- Bayon style;
- it is the largest religious monument in the world;
- it was originally constructed as a Hindu temple, then converted into a Buddhist Temple;
- it was the state temple of the Khmer Empire;
- it is Cambodia’s main tourist attraction and one of the most important pilgrimage sites for Buddhists;
Follow the IDoRecommend posts to discover many other beautiful places on earth.